When do I need a permit?

Whenever you are going to start a project, contact the Building Inspection Department to verify if permits are required. This will not only help in your decision making process, but also may save time and money by avoiding potential non-compliance with various City Codes and Ordinances. For more information, please call the Permits Department at (432)-264-2504.

  • Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit for the work. Minor repairs may be made with the approval of the Building Official without a permit, provided that such repairs shall not violate any of the provisions of the technical codes.

Some projects that require permits include, but are not limited to:

  • Roofs
  • Fences
  • Gas Lines
  • Water/Sewer Lines
  • Water Heaters, Water Softeners
  • Swimming Pools, Spa
  • Siding
  • Remodels, Additions
  • Decks/Porches
  • Carports
  • Accessory Structures (e.g. garages, storage structures, etc.)
  • Demolition

Cosmetic projects that do not require permits include:

  • House Painting
  • Wallpaper
  • Carpets
  • Windows
  • Doors
  • Cabinets

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a permit?
2. Do I need a permit to build a carport?
3. Do I need a permit to have siding installed on my house?
4. Do I need a permit if I re-roof my house?
5. Do I need a permit to change the water heater in my home?
6. What if I want to encroach my front and side yard setbacks?
7. What Technical Codes are currently used by the City of Big Spring?