Complaint Prodecure


A person who has a complaint against the City of Big Spring Police Department or a City of Big Spring Police Officer may contact the police department to file a formal complaint. 

The Police Department is located at:
3613 West Highway 80
Big Spring, TX 79720

A complaint must be submitted in writing and be notarized.  The complainant will be asked to fill out a statement detailing the events leading to the complaint which will be forwarded to the appropriate investigating officer (i.e. Patrol, Investigations, Animal Control, etc.).  The assigned investigator will use any and all evidence available to resolve the complaint.  

If a solution cannot be reached, the complaint will be submitted through the chain of command.  The Chief of Police will determine whether to order an Internal Affairs Investigation and will decide on the appropriate action. 


If the complaint remains unresolved after the departmental complaint process has been completed or if the complainant presents reasons deemed sufficient by the City Council to circumvent the departmental process, the City Council shall, within twenty (20) days of receipt of a written request from the complainant, appoint a Citizens Advisory Board to conduct a hearing. A request for the appointment of a Citizens Advisory Board must be made in writing to the City Secretary.  The determination by the Citizen’s Advisory Board is final.

The Big Spring Police Department is interested in the welfare of all citizens and in taking action where its employees have proven derelict in their duties.  If it becomes necessary for you to make a complaint, you can be assured it will be given a fair and thorough investigation.


Please note that intentionally making a false complaint to the Big Spring Police Department is a crime punishable by up to

10 years

in prison and a


fine.   This information is not intended to intimidate complainants or prevent valid complaints, but is provided to caution against making false complaints as retaliation or revenge against officers.